No subject

Fri Dec 14 15:48:43 EST 2012

mentioned a recent post shared by Anoop Atre in G+ and IRC about the
near git disaster suffered by the KDE project earlier this year.  See
full article here: http://jefferai.org/2013/03/24/too-perfect-a-mirror/

For fun though, I decided to take a look at the Evergreen git
repositories I clone to my local machine and tested by running "git
fsck" on them.

I should mention that one should probably run "git gc" first (if not
done recently) and possibly even "git prune" (with some options for
time) if one were to avoid seeing "dangling commit" warnings during the
run.  This happened to me quite a bit at first, but I think that's
because I do a lot of rebasing for local branches.

In any case, of minor concern, there were three warnings that came out
of my local run of "git fsck":

warning in tree 1dd9f4ddc5a1727f8efacdb64aca92b0309d3133: contains
zero-padded file modes
warning in tree d4343c2c06d3ecb7b2436158b0d6ab0ae284fb02: contains
zero-padded file modes
warning in tree ff0a0ef7adef5f5a216bc98078afadf0234f04c7: contains
zero-padded file modes

Checking those trees, it would appear that they are related to the
merging of docs back to live next to the code.

Jeff Godin ran a similar check on his local repos and confirmed that he
saw those same three warnings.  His hypothesis at the time is that they
may have been generated by older versions of Git.

In any case, Mike Rylander wanted me to share these findings on the dev
list for those who might be interested.

-- Ben

PS:  Running "git fsck" on the OpenSRF repository I have cloned locally
did not generate any warnings or errors.

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator

--------------000109090005030009000105

  <head>

  </head>
    Hi all,<br>
    From one of the late Saturday night conversations post-conference, I
    mentioned a recent post shared by Anoop Atre in G+ and IRC about the
    near git disaster suffered by the KDE project earlier this year.&nbsp;
    See full article here:
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://jefferai.org/2013/03/24/too-perfect-a-mirror/">http://jefferai.org/2013/03/24/too-perfect-a-mirror/</a><br>
    For fun though, I decided to take a look at the Evergreen git
    repositories I clone to my local machine and tested by running "git
    fsck" on them.<br>
    I should mention that one should probably run "git gc" first (if not
    done recently) and possibly even "git prune" (with some options for
    time) if one were to avoid seeing "dangling commit" warnings during
    the run.&nbsp; This happened to me quite a bit at first, but I think
    that's because I do a lot of rebasing for local branches.<br>
    In any case, of minor concern, there were three warnings that came
    out of my local run of "git fsck":<br>
    warning in tree 1dd9f4ddc5a1727f8efacdb64aca92b0309d3133: contains
    zero-padded file modes<br>
    warning in tree d4343c2c06d3ecb7b2436158b0d6ab0ae284fb02: contains
    zero-padded file modes<br>
    warning in tree ff0a0ef7adef5f5a216bc98078afadf0234f04c7: contains
    zero-padded file modes<br>
    Checking those trees, it would appear that they are related to the
    merging of docs back to live next to the code.<br>
    Jeff Godin ran a similar check on his local repos and confirmed that
    he saw those same three warnings.&nbsp; His hypothesis at the time is
    that they may have been generated by older versions of Git.<br>
    In any case, Mike Rylander wanted me to share these findings on the
    dev list for those who might be interested.<br>
    -- Ben<br>
    PS:&nbsp; Running "git fsck" on the OpenSRF repository I have cloned
    locally did not generate any warnings or errors.<br>
      charset=ISO-8859-1">
      charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Benjamin Shum