[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: Proposing the 2012 Evergreen Hack-A-Way

rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Wed Jul 11 15:20:27 EDT 2012

I think we have to see how far interest in one goes before we talk
about regionals but as Evergreen grows anything is possible.

Quoting Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM, <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net> wrote:
>
>> Proposing the 2012 Evergreen "Hack-A-Way"
>>
>> As we closed out the last Evergreen conference the Oversight Committee
>> discussed looking at new ways to promote the common interests of the
>> community.  As everyone knows, the Evergreen community is fairly young and
>> as it grows the Oversight Committee is finding it's way.  The Oversight
>> Committee began as a way to put Evergreen's assets in the community's hands
>> and facilitate the local hosting of the annual conference.  Today, I would
>> like to introduce a proposal for another task we would like to take upon
>> ourselves and for which I volunteer myself.
>>
>> I call it the Hack-A-Way, both because the goal is to facilitate hacking
>> away at the code and as a pun off a getaway.  In short, the goal is to
>> provide an opportunity, at the midway point each year between conferences,
>> for developers to meet in person and to continue the momentum they develop
>> at the conference.  This goal came directly out of the developer community,
>> who find in person collaboration is extremely useful.
>>
>> And frankly, promoting this labor benefits everyone.  This can not be
>> under stated.  I speak for the Oversight Committee when I say this is a
>> good idea.  I speak for myself when I say this is a wonderful idea.
>>
>> So, how do we make this happen?
>>
>> I'm proposing a combination of use of a host's resources and soliciting
>> funds for this project.  A working group is forming with some from the
>> Oversight Committee and some from the hosting site (once it's selected).
>>
>> So, is this like a developer conference?
>>
>> No.  This will be much more low key, more motel than hotel and more take
>> out than fine dining.  There won't be seminars or classes, unless they
>> spontaneously come out of the developers themselves.  However, I will ask
>> for a local coordinator and ask for proposals from those willing to host
>> it.  Those interested in hosting should send me an email stating their
>> interest and what they can provide (even meeting room space with Internet
>> is valuable) and who from their location can work with us.  The most
>> qualified hosting site will be selected and we will work with them to
>> select dates.
>>
>> How big are we talking?
>>
>> We're talking fairly small at first, though the more developers who can
>> attend on their own dimes and the more grants we can give out will increase
>> it's size I'm sure.  The developer community itself isn't very large.
>>  Really, they do a lot of work relative to their size.  This first year we
>> may be looking at anywhere from half a dozen to two dozen.  Hopefully, in
>> future years with more time to prepare we can grow it a little bit and I'm
>> sure ideas will come out of the developer community to use the event to
>> it's fullest advantage.
>>
>> Isn't this basically a hackfest?
>>
>> Yes.  I'm suggesting a name because as we go for sponsorships having an
> [...]

Rogan Hamby
Manager Rock Hill Library & Reference Services
York County Library System

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
too dark
to read." - Groucho Marx