[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Staff Client (V2.2) persistent data questions

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 14 11:22:55 EDT 2012

I have noticed that the Evergreen Staff Client (V2.2) seems to have the
same lock file / corrupted profile directory 'weirdness' that Firefox and
Thunderbird have (not totally surprising -- I am guessing this is really
an xulrunner issue at some (deep?) level).

This seems to somehow related to the fact that we are using diskless
workstations (running Linux -- CentOS 5) using NFS-mounted (/home) file
systems. For some reason Firefox, Thunderbird, and now Evergreen become
confused when starting up after a reboot in the case where they weren't
cleanly shutdown before the machine was shutdown -- eg the xulrunner
'crash recovery' procedure used by these programs fails or becomes
confused and you get the '[Application] is already running, please
close the running [Application] window(s)' popup message.  I've
bullet-proofed things for Firefox on the patron logins using an
automated restore of a known good Firefox profile and I am wondering if
I need to do something similar for the Evergreen Staff clients -- this
would depend on what sort of persistent data the Evergreen Staff Client
needs and whether that data gets updated, once the initial setup has
been done.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com