[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Joining the Evergreen community

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Mar 23 13:32:49 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM, David Busby <david.busby at edoceo.com> wrote:
> Tervetuloa! (did I remember/spell that right? Haven't used Finnish in some time)
>
> Getting improvements into the master is an excellent goal - here's the
> process that has worked for me:
>
> Read:
> http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contributing
> http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:contributing_code
>
> Make Launchpad bugs for your improvements; engage the community early
> and often (seems you have that already)

Thanks for the suggestions, David. I'd also add "get on the IRC
channel at #evergreen on the Freenode network if at all possible".
(I've already seen Olli-Antti show up there, which is great, but this
might be useful for other would-be collaborators too)

> Make a git-repo/branch and keep it on say, github, that makes it super
> easy for the code-committers to review your changes.

I'd say that, even better than a 3rd party git repository, Evergreen
contributors can easily gain git commit access on the "working" repos
listed at http://git.evergreen-ils.org/ if they send an SSH key to
gitadmin at evergreen-ils.org (we don't spell this out very clearly in
the "contributing" document but
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:git makes it pretty