[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Error while implementing open-ils.actor.patron.update method.

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Mar 29 09:05:47 EDT 2012

Quoting Thomas Berezansky <tsbere at mvlc.org>:

> I don't think updates can be done over XMLRPC right now. The code on
> this branch would probably be needed first:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/903020

I was recently told that you can do updates with the XML-RPC gateway
as is. You just need to know how to mangle the data into JSON and
stuff it into the message properly. The branch linked above makes it
easier, since it allows you to just alter the XML-RPC struct that the
server gives you and send it back in the normal XML-RPC form.

Since I am the author of that branch, the committers can consider this
another plea to have that branch merged.

> I personally recommend using the gateway or translator, rather than
> the XMLRPC connector though.

For the most part, I agree with Thomas here. The OSRF HTTP translator
is the new thing and is generally recommended over the HTTP gateway,
though it doesn't look like the gateway is going away any time soon.

The gateway and the translator have the advantage of being the
"native" Evergreen HTTP interfaces. They're used by the staff client,
for instance. Therefore, they are maintained and given more developer
love than is the XML-RPC gateway.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services