[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Adding new Circulation Rules to the system.

rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Tue May 1 09:20:54 EDT 2012

It all depends on how complex your js files are.  In SC LENDS we went
1.6 -> 2.1 and did the js to indb switcharoo.  Some of our libraries
were easy, some were straightforward but took some effort to quality
control and some were like cthulian nightmares.

In the end, to keep us from having indb rules with (tens of) thousands
of entries I went back to the directors and gave them the pros and
cons.  We ended up changing circ policies where they covered esoteric
possibilities and had little public service impact in order to make
them more indb friendly.  The end result was we have a few hundred and
it works quite well.  The dialogues with staff in the end were far
more challenging than the writing of the indb rules.

Quoting Geoff Sams <GSams at roanoketexas.com>:

> I am actually curious, just how much of a pain it is to make the
> switch from the JavaScript files to the use of the in-db setup?
>
> I haven't had a lot of experience working with the innards of the
> system yet, but I am slowly working my way inward and will hopefully
>  know quite a bit more soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff Sams
> Roanoke Public Library
> 817-491-2691
> Chairman
> North Texas Library Consortium Board

Rogan Hamby
Manager Rock Hill Library & Reference Services
York County Library System

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
too dark
to read." - Groucho Marx