[OPEN-ILS-DEV] One-Stop Searching

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue May 8 07:50:50 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On May 7, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Geoff Sams wrote:
>> I am curious if anyone has created a one stop searching function that works with Evergreen.  The idea being to search for one topic and get results from Evergreen’s catalog as well as from any databases that the library might have access to and any other resources as configured.  If anyone has done this or would be willing to help point me in the right direction I would love to hear from you.
>
> I don't know of anybody who has built this into Evergreen, but there are several Evergreen libraries that use libre and proprietary discovery solutions such as VuFind, Summon or EDS that sit on top of Evergreen and (potentially) other databases.

In the long-long ago (before any of the turn-key solutions existed,
and while OpenSearch was still being specified), I built an all-client
side prototype using OpenSearch that would broadcast searches to a
bunch of sources and present either a side-by-side view (a la Amazon's
A9) or an attempted integrated view.  It's still in the Evergreen repo
at http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/extras/opensearchportal.html;h=44ce1adde129a0158783ee008d4520918f4102a0;hb=HEAD
but it won't work out of the box any more.  It needs an open proxy
(since removed from Evergreen for obvious reasons) to get around the
same-domain requirement of browsers.  But the point is that, in
addition of the above, it is not too hard to build your own.  A blog
post about it is available at http://evergreen-ils.org/blog/?p=29 .