[OPEN-ILS-DEV] [GSOC] Performance benchmark

sy duan stormdsy at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:46:50 EDT 2012

Hi mike and everyone:

         Very glad to be GSOC student this year. As I read the document of
the last dev conferece, I know mike will be my mentor this year.

         According to google’s calendar I will begin coding at May 21. Now
I’m doing some research on the project and read related materials. My
project’s main work is to rewrite some part of the heavily used store
procedures to enhance the performance. I checked some of the file in
language plperlu as mike mentioned in last mail and I think the first step
is to locate this functions. Maybe I will rewrite some of them first to see
the improvement. But what bother me most is I can’t measure the performance
just analyzing the postgresql log file. Because the log file only record
the most used stored procedure without the precise time spend on it. I
can’t measure the system performance in a quantitative way. I think I need
to create a test benchmark on the system performance. Only in this way I
can measure the improvement on system performance and compare the
performance before and after the improvement. I wonder if there exist such
test tools in the current system? And there aren’t any GSOC student working
on the test project, i don’t know where to look for help on test things.

         And is there anything I need to do in this period? Or is there
anything I need to refer to ?

         Looking forward to your advice!

Best wishes!

Swenyu Duan