[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Customized Search Functionality

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Tue May 29 12:51:40 EDT 2012

Hi Michael,

On 05/29/2012 12:30 PM, Michael Kerrigan wrote:
> Hello Developers,
>
> We have been hired to customize some of the search functionality for Evergreen for a client and was hoping someone could point us in the right direction regarding a couple of issues.
>

> 1.       Should we submit our changes back to the community as a bulk patch to 2.2 (with all of our changes) or would it be more applicable to submit each change we are making independently?

The *ideal* situation for the community would be for your developers to
check code into a public Git repository and work in feature branches
based on the Evergreen master branch.  You would presumably be able to
get the most rapid feedback from others in the Evergreen developer
community that way, too.

Failing that, I'm sure whatever sharing can be managed would be
appreciated, with a preference for more, smaller updates over big ones
when possible.

Patches do work best when applied against master though, then backported
to releases like 2.x.y when appropriate, as opposed to diffing against a
release directly.

> 2.       What IDE do you all use for working with and debugging Evergreen PERL code?  Eclipse, Komodo?

Most of the Evergreen developers aren't IDE users, but I think there are
a couple of exceptions.  I'll let them reply.  Vim or Emacs plus all the
tools a UNIX workstation has to offer constitutes the preferred
development environment for most of us.

> 3.       Who is the resident expert on Evergreen search functionality?

I'll name Mike Rylander and Dan Scott, although there are several others
who can answer search related questions well, so I'd encourage questions
to target the whole developers' mailing list, or the whole #evergreen
IRC channel.  This will improve your chances of getting a timely
response and will add to the general knowledge of the community for.

> Any tips would greatly be appreciated!

Be open!

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Good luck!