[OPEN-ILS-DEV] A list of questions about Evergreen

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Wed Oct 17 04:31:22 EDT 2012

We have been gathering a list of questions regarding our struggle with Evergreen, and here they are. We are hoping to get some insight into the following topics and would love to hear what the community has to say. We are interested about how you use these topics in your daily routines, should some special measures be taken to use these topics correctly (obscure configuration variables?), are we asking the right questions or generally how you feel about us probing you with these questions.

BTW, we are currently making our own version of the Evergreen user manual!

Problems with Evergreen

Placing holds (9.1.)
What is the difference between Title Level Hold and Volume Level Hold? I understand Copy Level Hold which is for copies of title. Is Title Level Hold = Volume Level Hold in books? In serials it may be different and there is Issue Level Hold, too, but that's another question.
Why volume holds are transported to Stacks instead of the the pickup library?

Managing holds in title records (9.2.)
Sitka manual says: "All holds on this title to be picked up at your library are displayed. Use Filter checkbox and Pickup Library to view holds to be picked up at other branches of your libary system."
What is the difference between Pickup Library and Requesting Library? I understand Pickup Library being library where patron wants to check out items. What is the role of Requesting Library?

Holds Pull List (9.3.)
Sitka manual says: "The Holds Pull List is updated constantly. Once an item on the list is no longer available or a hold on the list is captured, the items will disappear from the list. The Holds Pull List should be printed at least once a day." I am confused of the time holds stay in the list. When I place holds, some of them shows in the list and others don't and even nobody captures the holds they disappear from the list.

Clear shelf process
"Clear shelf copy status
Any copies that have not been put into reshelving, in-transit, or on-holds-shelf (for a new hold) during the clear shelf process will be put into this status. This is basically a purgatory status for copies waiting to be pulled from the shelf and processed by hand". How this clear shelf process starts and when? What does it do?

Server Administration -> Permissions
What does mean "user_request.create"? What does it allow? There is no explanation, just the name.

Circ Duration Rules
Where do you define how long is the "short " duration valid? For example new fiction books should be in shorter loan period for three months since copy is purchased, where can I define it? And what is "extended" duration, how is it supposed to work and what purpose?

Home service or homebound patron
How do you manage homebound patrons? Sitka Evergreen Policy & Best Practices Manual says in 3.2: "providing Home Service for patrons with special needs".