[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Managing RC bug merges

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 5 09:27:38 EDT 2012

Hi All,

We've reached the stage in the release cycle where we have to limit which bug fixes can be merged into 2.3 RC to prevent unnecessary disruption to the soon-to-be GA code.  However, we don't want to limit bug merges in the 2.3 branch, because anything that doesn't make the GA release will get folded into the 2.3.1 release -- and bug fixes are good, so we don't want to complicate the process.

I have two proposals.  I'd love to get a few +/-1's today, since the plan needs to be enacted now :)

1.  Create an origin/rel_2_3_rc1 branch.  (I mentioned this briefly in my recent RC1 planning email).  It will be a child of tags/rel_2_3_rc1.  All fixes that meet the RC standards (more below) may be merged into this branch.  tags/rel_2_3_0, and subsequently the 2.3.0 release, will be derived from the origin/rel_2_3_rc1 branch.

Regular fixes will merge into master -> rel_2_3.  RC fixes will merge into master -> rel_2_3 -> rel_2_3_rc1.

This adds an additional step to getting code into the RC / final release, but I think that's better than temporarily complicating the standard bug-merging work flow.

2. I'd like to change the definition of "showstopper", i.e. what can and cannot make it into an RC.  I propose that any reasonable bug fix may be merged into an RC provided the commit has 3 sign-offs in total -- the author, plus 2 additional testers.  That would allow us to avoid the whole benevolent-overlords-blessing-problems-as-showstoppers process, which is vague and time-consuming, while maintaining a generally higher level of quality for any fixes merged into the RC.

In other words, let the market decide.  If a problem merits attention (and showstoppers will), then it will be merged.  If it's not a showstopper in the traditional sense, but really improves things, it can get merged too.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

-b

--