[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Managing RC bug merges

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 5 10:22:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 09/05/2012 09:27 AM, Bill Erickson wrote:
> 1.  Create an origin/rel_2_3_rc1 branch.  (I mentioned this briefly
> in my recent RC1 planning email).  It will be a child of
> tags/rel_2_3_rc1.  All fixes that meet the RC standards (more below)
> may be merged into this branch.  tags/rel_2_3_0, and subsequently the
> 2.3.0 release, will be derived from the origin/rel_2_3_rc1 branch.
>
> Regular fixes will merge into master -> rel_2_3.  RC fixes will merge
> into master -> rel_2_3 -> rel_2_3_rc1.
>
> This adds an additional step to getting code into the RC / final
> release, but I think that's better than temporarily complicating the
> standard bug-merging work flow.

As per our current discussion in #evergreen, at the moment I prefer that
we designate a fixed period of time for the triple-signoff requirement,
and I further suggest that during this period that nothing gets merged
into rel_2_3 that folks aren't comfortable having in the 2.3.0 release.
  If we need a separate branch -- and I'm not sure that we do -- I
counter-propose that we define a rel_2_3_pending_bugfixes branch for
rel_2_3 bugfixes that we're not presently comfortable including in the
2.3.0 release.

> 2. I'd like to change the definition of "showstopper", i.e. what can
> and cannot make it into an RC.  I propose that any reasonable bug fix
> may be merged into an RC provided the commit has 3 sign-offs in total
> -- the author, plus 2 additional testers.  That would allow us to
> avoid the whole
> benevolent-overlords-blessing-problems-as-showstoppers process, which
> is vague and time-consuming, while maintaining a generally higher
> level of quality for any fixes merged into the RC.
>
> In other words, let the market decide.  If a problem merits attention
> (and showstoppers will), then it will be merged.  If it's not a
> showstopper in the traditional sense, but really improves things, it
> can get merged too.

+1

Regards,

Galen