[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Authorities - alternate formats

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:01:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Duimovich, George
<George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Regarding unAPI services, we've only used them in the context of
> bibliographic records, but I assume that some of the same plumbing could be
> adapted for authority records - or is it there already for use in 2.2.2 /
> 2.3.x (or planned for a future release)?

It's used relatively heavily by the authority features (old and new),
specifically the right-click suggestions in the MARC editor and the
OPAC authority browse and staff client authority management
interfaces.

There is a view in the database that attempts to show inter-record
relationships called authority.tracing_links, but it is naive and only
uses subfield 'a'.  Ideally it would be adapted to use, say,
authority.simple_heading table or the authority.by_heading index.

> For examples of authority record transforms, see "Alternate formats" section
> of this entry here:
>
>         http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh2008118536.html
>
> I also wonder if any of those LoC crosswalks have been spotted anywhere
> under any public licence?

I haven't...