[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Running git fsck on Evergreen

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Apr 15 01:10:04 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> wrote:
> In any case, of minor concern, there were three warnings that came out of my
> local run of "git fsck":
>
> warning in tree 1dd9f4ddc5a1727f8efacdb64aca92b0309d3133: contains
> zero-padded file modes
> warning in tree d4343c2c06d3ecb7b2436158b0d6ab0ae284fb02: contains
> zero-padded file modes
> warning in tree ff0a0ef7adef5f5a216bc98078afadf0234f04c7: contains
> zero-padded file modes
>
> Checking those trees, it would appear that they are related to the merging
> of docs back to live next to the code.

I agree -- running git-fsck in the Evergreen-DocBook repository shows
the same three warnings, and some discussions on the Git mailing list
I turned up ([1] and [2], which in turn refer to [3]) indicate that at
one point in time editing a file inline at GitHub -- as was done to
produce some of the doc commits -- could introduce exactly this sort
of corruption.

This problem doesn't appear to have much practical effect so long as
we stay in the realm of the official Git tools, but JGit is strict
about rejecting packs that contain such tree objects.  For example,
this means that somebody who wanted to import the Evergreen repo into
a Gerrit instance would have to go to a bit of extra effort [4].

Unfortunately, thus far I haven't found any way of fixing this that
doesn't entail rewriting all of the commit hashes that post-date the
doc merge, which would be painful.

[1] http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Tree-with-leading-0-modes-in-1-7-0-3-tp4806618p4806864.html
[2] http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Tree-with-leading-0-modes-in-1-7-0-3-tp4806618p4808987.html
[3] http://web.archive.org/web/20100223081538/http://support.github.com/discussions/repos/2566-strange-warning-from-fsck-and-github-repo-using-too-much-diskspace