[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Mac client slowness

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Tue Apr 16 06:37:06 EDT 2013

Hi Carl,

Yes, unfortunately we noted similar reaction times when using xulrunner
1.9 with older Evergreen versions.  The most I ever learned about this
was that xulrunner 1.9 was just darned slow on Macs.  Since it wasn't
being supported by Mozilla anymore, we never got to the bottom of it.
The tendency at the time was to work with newer xulrunner versions and
hope for a brighter future.

That said, for whatever it's worth, once we upgraded to Evergreen 2.3+
and started using the newer xulrunners (14+), we saw a dramatic pickup
in overall speed during use to the point where we could actually use the
client again.

Otherwise, I've never supported Mac client use on older versions so
unfortunately have little else to contribute to this.

Sorry, hope someone else has some insights, but I doubt anyone actively
hacks on old xulrunners and Mac clients.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator