[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Upgrade Process

Elliot Voris evoris at slcconline.edu
Thu Jan 3 18:32:24 EST 2013

Hi, All

I've got an Evergreen server that has been working rather well with the library staff at our college. In fact, it's been working a bit too well, and (out of sight, out of mind) has fallen a bit behind in my desire to keep it updated. I'd like to get updated to the latest version, and I'm curious about the best way to proceed. Here's what it is running now:

*         Ubuntu 10.04.4

*         PostrgreSQL 9.0.5

*         Evergreen 2.1.1

*         OpenSRF 2.0.1
The installation was performed by myself, adhering stringently to the README http://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/install/README_2_1_1.html

My general questions are:

*         Should I worry about upgrading Ubuntu? The documentation says it should work fine and I've got another 2 years before EOL, but I'm usually eager to embrace the latest LTS.

*         Should I worry about upgrading Postgres? Again, the documentation says 9 should be fine but 9.1 is recommended (for 2.3, at least). At least, should I upgrade to the latest 9.0.x release?

*         When the time comes (either this upgrade-round, or later on) to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, is it advisable to upgrade Ubuntu itself, or set up a fresh server and migrate all of our data?

My more specific questions are:

*         If I'm at 2.1.1, and the latest 2.1.x release is 2.1.4, do I need to perform all the upgrades in between those before moving on the 2.2.x release? Then, upgrade through all the 2.2.x releases, and subsequently the 2.3.x releases?

*         I don't see any upgrade instructions between OpenSRF 2.0.1 and 2.1.2, where can I find some information on that? Should OpenSRF be the first thing I upgrade?

*         If I should upgrade Ubuntu or PostgreSQL, when should those fit in to the roadmap?
Thanks for all  your wonderful work!!

Elliot J. Voris
IT Director
St. Louis Christian College