[OPEN-ILS-DEV] LDAP OSRF Synchronization Questions

Elliot Voris evoris at slcconline.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:57:25 EDT 2013

Hi, all!

I'm very interested in using Dan Scott's script (http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=contrib/Conifer.git;a=blob;f=tools/patron-load/ldap_osrf_sync;h=cf3c9b8edbffdb4d458baa2d88dcb61a2a7c0ac1;hb=9d1f461152bfc1079bd1647f25ebd872f5dc55f5) to load our patron (student/faculty) records from our Active Directory domain into Evergreen. I've tried to find as much info as I can, but I wasn't able to find much detail about how the script is intended to be used. I'm hoping someone here may be able to answer some questions for me.

  1.  This probably goes without saying; I need to provide an AD account with read/writ privileges, right?
  2.  The script looks like it keeps track of the barcode in LDAP as lulLibraryBarcode, am I reading that right? I've been using the AD attribute employeeNumber to store student ID numbers (barcodes). Will the script be able to check if that attribute is defined in AD and then use it for the barcode in EG?
  3.  Is this script meant to be run as-needed, or is it intended to run at a regular interval (as a cronjob)?
  4.  For the OSRF_USER information in credentials.py, am I supposed to use the egadmin account? What does OSRF_WORK_OU mean?
  5.  Is there a syntax to run this (i.e. "./ldap_osrf_sync.py credentials.py"), or do I just run it after creating "credentials.py" where the script can find it?

I'm sure there are more questions that I've forgotten since starting this email, but I wanted to at least get started with it.

Thanks!

Elliot J. Voris

IT Director

St. Louis Christian College