[OPEN-ILS-DEV] slow(!) import

Joe Thornton jthornton at uhls.lib.ny.us
Thu Jun 6 10:48:32 EDT 2013

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my plea for help.

Elliot  -- Thanks for pointing me to the right list.

Jason: I'm just kicking the tires. I was sure we'd need a much bigger
server if we decide to use Evergreen in production, but I thought  16GB of
RAM and 200GB of disk would be okay for testing. And at this point it's
just 160k bib records. I haven't even gotten to items or patrons yet.
Thanks for sharing your git project. I'm not a git user but I'll give it a
try if I don't find a more familiar solution.

Dan: Thanks -- I'll probably give your suggestion a try, but 550,000
records 1,000 at a time will certainly take a while.

Three things:

--  The process I started three days ago to import 160,000 records using
the method on the Evergreen site is still running.
--  Maybe an unfair comparison, but we use VuFind as an alternative
interface to Horizon, and a full import of all 550k records takes about 45
minutes.
--  It's surprising to me that there isn't a faster method. We're looking
seriously at Evergreen as a replacement for Horizon, but this would be a
problem. I'll try Dan's and then Jason's methods (again, thank you very
much) and hope that they're significantly faster. If I had the time and
ability (unfortunately I have neither) I'd take a shot at it myself.

Thanks again.
Joe

Joe Thornton
Manager, Automation Services