[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Any ideas why I sometimes get a "segmentation fault" with pg_restore?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Mon Jun 10 18:19:01 EDT 2013

Hello,

To maintaining test VMs with production data I usually use a combination of pg_dump[1] on the production server. I then I use "dropdb evergreen" and then pg_restore[2] on the test VMs. On occasion I get an error message of "segmentation fault" when I try to run pg_restore[2] on the test VM, but usually I don't have any issues. Before I got this error today, I did a pg_dump of the concerto data that was already on the VMs postgres, and as a test I successfully used pg_restore to reload the concerto data with out any problems. Except for some warning I usually get when I successfully run pg_restore[3]. Finally, I checked /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.1-main.log and only saw entries for the warnings I just mentioned from when I restored up the concerto data as a test.

I was wondering if someone had an idea of why this is happening to me this morning?

Thanks in advance,
Yamil

[1] pg_dump -Fc evergreen > prod_data.sql

[2] pg_restore -U postgres  -C -j 4 --dbname=template1 prod_data.sql

[3]
WARNING:  => is deprecated as an operator name
This name may be disallowed altogether in future versions of PostgreSQL.