[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Putting the community's QA money where our dev mouth is

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Nov 5 15:41:34 EST 2013

> Building a test that relies on Concerto also means that once you log
> into the system and make any changes that affect the database, you can
> no longer depend on the results of tests run against that database.
> You need a full stop, database rebuild, start of the system to get a
> valid set of test results again. And anything that slows down a
> developer is less likely to actually happen, right?

I think in this case we rely on continuous integration to do it for
us.  Mock environments are going to be easier to do at the database
level and I'm all for using them where we can, but at other levels in
Evergreen's stack things aren't so easily reversible so, in my
opinion, it's easier for a developer to rely on Concerto, or if not
Concerto, then at least on the notion of blowing away the database
between runs.  What's really going on is that we're just making the
mock "environment" bigger, because, it really kind of has to be unless
we want to rewrite Evergreen to better support unit testing.  Please
let me know if you disagree.

Thanks guys, for caring enough to have opinions about it.

--
Jason Etheridge