[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Guidelines for submitting documentation needs to Launchpad

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Nov 12 11:40:07 EST 2013

Hi all,

Please excuse cross postings.

Over the past few months, DIG has been discussing the use of Launchpad
to identify documentation needs. We've tried a couple of trial bugs to
see how the process works, and I think the process has gone well for
those trial bugs. However, the trials have also brought up some
questions on how to tag documentation bugs, how and when to use things
like the Fix Released status, etc. I thought it would be useful if we
had some written guidelines to follow for using Launchpad to track
documentation needs.

I posted a draft set of guidelines this morning at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:lp_docs.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from fellow DIG members as well as from
the developers/bug wranglers who are already using Launchpad on a daily
basis to track coding needs.

The one question I struggled with was the extent to which we want to use
Launchpad features like milestones, statuses, importance etc. In a
previous DIG meeting when this question was first raised, I recall that
some of the bug wranglers had recommended against using milestones for
documentation (too much of a maintenance overhead?), but is there a use
for some of these other fields? I think the "Assigned to" field can be
useful for people who want to indicate that they are working on a
particular doc.

I also plan to work today on a central wiki page that will provide
direct links to the documentation bugs, broken down by different
functional areas (circulation, system configuration, opac etc.) If we
use consistent tagging when submitting these Launchpad reports, we
should be able to easily link people to those documentation needs
relevant to their area of interest.

Let me know what you think!

Kathy

--