[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Question About Translation Process

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:04:15 EST 2013

Hello all,

I've become a little more familiar with the translation setup, and based on that limited understanding, I have a concern about how we use translation files in older versions.

Right now, it seems like our practice is to (occasionally) run update_pofiles on older branches.  However, I think those .po files are only coordinated with master.  The end result is that we end up losing translation strings in older versions whenever that string is replaced or removed from master.

For example, 2.3 had the string "Lost, Claimed Returned, Long Overdue, Has Unpaid Billings".  This string got changed in master, but not in 2.3.  Therefore, it is commented out in, for instance, po/lang.dtd/fr-CA.po, even though it is still needed for 2.3 interface translation.

Does this make sense?  If so, is it the problem I think it is?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst