[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Another possible optimization for database access/query

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 12:54:25 EDT 2013

First, thanks again for this.

Some background:  this function is replacing the query generated by
the code that lives at
Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/SuperCat.pm:643 (in
master).  The function uses a variadic param to simplify things, but
we actually need to be able to filter on three different types of
values: circ_lib (covered in the patch supplied), copy status and copy
location.

I'm creating a variant of the function depesz supplied that leaves
circ_lib as the primary filter axis, because it is the most likely to
be supplied.  All three filters will be accepted as array arguments,
as only the last input argument is allowed to be a variadic, and using
a special-case test for an empty circ_lib array to open a slightly
different cursor.

This special case (in practical terms, asking for installation-wide
item-ordered bibs, or "new bibs everywhere") will benefit from an
index specifically on create_date, and the other cases benefit from
the existing index on circ_lib.  I'm not sure if we should add a new
index across both or not ... testing will tell if circ_lib+create_date
makes thing better or not.

When I have a branch, I'll create an LP bug and respond here.

--miker