[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Firefox Remote XUL and future of StaffClient.

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Sep 5 13:07:51 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-29, at 08:01 , Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:

> I am going to be brutally honest, because that is my role in the
> community. I don't think it is going anywhere until someone says,
> "Here's $50 000. Do it."

Are you talking about what it would cost to develop and maintain a modern high-quality web-based interface to replace all the functionality currently done in the staff client based on XUL? If so, I think your estimate is probably somewhat conservative. Your honesty is not brutal enough! ;)

Lacking sponsors who are willing to pay now to solve a somewhat hypothetical future problem, another way to approach this issue would be to first get some general agreement that we would like to have something different from a XUL-based client at some point in the future, say 5 years, and start working in that direction. Absent a large upfront investment, but with a common vision, we could still get there in about the same amount of time. The existing client and whatever may be developed to replace it would still have to coexist for a long time for a phased transition to occur. I think the community has some experience with this type of a transition from JSPAC to TTPAC.

> On 08/28/2013 04:09 PM, Job Diógenes Ribeiro Borges wrote:
>> I would like to know, if its possible to run StaffClient,
>> direct from mozilla, using mozilla remote Xul execution?
>>

>> I Read some discussion here abou WebBase staff client:
>> "[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Staff client software vs. web-based interface
>> <http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2012-September/007459.html>
>> /Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich  / "
>>
>> Although the currently client works in XUL,
>> Mozilla does not have good plans for XUL.
>> XUL documentations is scarce, and new technologies
>> can replace XUL with advantages.
>>
>> Here some people talk about technologies to use in a WebBase StaffClient:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreeen/+bug/1117658
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1117658>
>>
>> I would like to know, if these discussion are going further, and
>> if have some group working in this?
>> What about Staff to work in tablets ?
>>
>> I any case I'm prompt to help in the discussion,
>> make tests, search for FrameWorks, look
>> for modern web Interface, etc.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Job DIogenes

>> Antes de imprimir, pense em sua responsabilidade e compromisso com o
>> MEIO AMBIENTE
>>

> --
> Jason Stephenson
> Assistant Director for Technology Services
> Merrimack Valley Library Consortium

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/