[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Authority Records and Practices

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Sep 27 13:06:31 EDT 2013

Here's a reply to Tim's question that I sent on another list we are both on:

On 09/27/2013 11:30 AM, Timothy Spindler wrote:

> ·         How frequently do you update your file?  (Sending bibs to LTI
> or Backstage)

We send new bibs quarterly to Backstage (Jan., April, July, Oct.).

They also send us an additional update file quarterly (Feb., May,
August, Nov.).

> ·         Linking records and issues related to updates on individual
> authorities

I'm not sure I understand what the above sentence fragments are trying
to ask.

[This bit is from a reply to a followup on my previous reply, but is
also useful for this discussion.]

> Thanks Jason,  in regards to this "Linking records and issues related
> to updates on individual authorities"
>
> It has been unclear to me what happens if we were to import and
> overlay existing authority records.  Is there a trigger than updates
> the bibs with an overlay so that if an authority changed from "Dan
> Steele" to "Danielle Steele" it would update the record.
>
> I know it does this if I go in and manually edit a record but it has
> been unclear to me what happens if I import and overlay and existing
> authority record that is linked to a bib record.

Yes, it is the same trigger. It is in the database. Any update to an
existing authority will update the linked bibs.

Creating a new authority requires running the authority link script.

It is all handled by this software that I wrote:

http://git.mvlcstaff.org/?p=jason/backstage.git;a=summary

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services