[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Rewrite metabib.rec_descriptor view using crosstab()?

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Thu Apr 10 18:45:01 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I was puzzling today about our planner's apparently inability to properly use some of the views (e.g. record_attr, rec_descriptor).  The hstore passthru step seems to be the most likely source of opacity, so I wondered if we might try to use crosstab() instead.

Here is a (fairly ugly) attempt to do so:

http://pastebin.com/aEvqzXAc

I have very little experience using crosstabs, so this can probably be tidied up somehow.  That said, I see promising results on the test data (a sample query falls from ~50ms to ~1.5ms), but we need to try it on a production set to really see if it helps.

Anyone care to try it out, or weigh in on this approach?  A good test might be the "expert search" without Mike's latest patch, or perhaps just do some selects of rec_descriptor and see what happens.

Thanks!
Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst