[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Updating a large set of bib records

Kyle Tomita kTomita at catalystitservices.com
Thu Apr 24 18:12:06 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am tasked with importing a large set of bibliographic marc records (under 1 million).

I have leveraged work from Jason Stephenson, http://git.mvlcstaff.org/?p=jason/backstage.git;a=summary.

The import script has been modified to instead of doing the update, to create sql files with the update commands.  These files have about 10,000 records per file.  This bypasses checking with database and just creates the update scripts off of the marc records.

These files are then batch processed.

This process ignores overlay profiles, which was deemed not needed for this process.

Before the update, triggers on the biblio.record_entry are turned off, particularly the reingest.  We run a full reingest after all the records have been updated.

My reason for posting this is to get feedback from others who are charged with updating a large set of bib records (over 500,000) about the way in which they succeeded and also pitfalls.

Kyle Tomita
Developer II, Catalyst IT Services
Beaverton Office
[cid:image001.png at 01CF5FB2.40706980]