[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Staff Client failure on fresh install

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Feb 13 13:11:45 EST 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Alexander Tim <TAlexander at triley.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been battling with my first deployment (in test) of Evergreen.  It
> all seems to have gone swimmingly until I connect with the Staff Client.
> The server will test and pass server/version validation but then throws up
> the following error on login:

The logs suggest to me that something is causing the death of
open-ils.storage backends, AKA drones.  Assuming that the logs you
attached are complete, this bit is interesting:

[2014-02-13 09:31:54] open-ils.storage [INFO:3826:Pg.pm:67:]
Attempting to connect to evergreen at localhost
[2014-02-13 09:31:54] open-ils.storage [INFO:3826:Pg.pm:97:] Connected
to MASTER db evergreen at localhost
[2014-02-13 09:32:18] open-ils.storage [INFO:3883:Pg.pm:67:]
Attempting to connect to evergreen at localhost
[2014-02-13 09:32:18] open-ils.storage [INFO:3883:Pg.pm:97:] Connected
to MASTER db evergreen at localhost
[2014-02-13 09:32:58] open-ils.storage [INFO:3731:Pg.pm:67:]
Attempting to connect to evergreen at localhost

In particular, the last attempt to connect to the DB is not
accompanied by an acknowledgment that it succeeded.  You might check
the error log around that time (09:32:58) to see if it reported a
connection error, for example, if the PostgreSQL max_connections
parameter was exceeded.  Note that the fact that you got any "connect
to MASTER db" messages at all indicates that the database credentials
you supplied in opensrf.xml are correct.

To gain more information, you could try this:

[1] Use osrf_ctl.sh to restart services, and wait a few seconds for
all of the backends to initialize themselves.
[2] Do a process listing and grep for open-ils.storage.  You should
see one listener and one or more drone processes.
[3] Use srfsh and run the following request a few times.

request open-ils.storage open-ils.storage.direct.actor.user.retrieve 1

This exercises open-ils.storage by retrieving information about the
default admin user.

How much memory is available on your Evergreen application server?  If
it has an unusually low amount of memory, it wouldn't be surprising if
OOM-killer were targeting the open-ils.storage drones, as they tend to
be the largest starting out the gate.  Of course, a quick run of dmesg
will indicate if OOM-killer is at play.

Regards,

Galen
--