[OPEN-ILS-DEV] API question

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jan 6 18:12:26 EST 2014

At Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:31:03 -0500 Evergreen Development Discussion List  <open-ils-dev at list.georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> ---Executing: recode
> I've been wishing for something that would make it simple for me to request
> a book through my local library. I had a basic browser extension a while
> back where you could highlight some text and search amazon for it; I'd like
> to see something similar.
>
> I've been googling a bit on Evergreen's API, and haven't really taken the
> time to play with anything yet. But I was wondering if anything like what
> I'm talking about exists already?
>
> Basically, something that lets you manipulate your end-user account.

I wrote a *simple* FF extension that placed a version of the C/W Mars search
screen as a FF toolbar.  This *just* does the search, it requires an addition
step to actually request the item (book).  Basically, Evergreen's 'end user'
API is in the form of web page (I guess Evergreen is just providing some
CGI-ish scripts that hook into its database).  It is fairly straight forward
to write a browser plugin (using XUL/JavaScript) to issue browser HTTP/HTTPS
requests.

The extension is available for download at

http://www.deepsoft.com/LibraryToolbar/libraryfftoolbar-1.0.3.xpi

It is specific to the C/W Mars and Wendell Free Library, although can
probably be trivially adapted to any C/W Mars library. And can probably be
modified for another library system (one would need to change some constants
in the JavaScript and/or the XUL -- the URL used to POST the search request
and the vaules used for some of the drop down menus).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com