[OPEN-ILS-DEV] staff client prototype, feedback/1

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Thu Jan 23 17:23:53 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM, steven <schan at vcn.bc.ca> wrote:

> Indeed, we will want to combine and minify the JS files.  I address this
>> briefly in my dev log:
>>
>> http://yeti.esilibrary.com/dev/pub/web-staff-log.html#_
>> 2013_12_16_js_minification
>>
>> We can go all the way to a single, minified JS file if we want to take it
>> that far.
>>

> I saw the blog post and read it very quickly, but reading again I see
> that, as an experiment, you minified all the js files and then linked
> them together into one bundle, which can be sourced in a single <script>
> tag.  I don't know whether this will scale, when for example, the
> web-based client grows to encompass all existing workflows.  Also, some
> workflows (eg, Acquisitions) are quite complex and they should be
> designed to load in different sets of js files depending on the needs of
> the user.

Yeah, it most definitely will not scale.  When I said "all", I was just
trying to make a point (and being kind of glib about it).

There are some JS files every page will require -- the angular bits, the
opensrf bits, and the core angular services -- those can be combined with
whatever level of isolation works best. The UI-specific files will
obviously need to be served separately and only as needed.  There's a
balance, we'll find it...

-b

--
Bill Erickson