[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ldirectord and pound proxy

Blake Henderson blake at mobiusconsortium.org
Mon Jun 2 14:19:21 EDT 2014

Hey all,

We have been using ldirectord for a couple of years. We tested pound
proxy and found some advantages. The main advantage that we found is the
client request balance. ldirectord creates a session from the client to
one app server. Once that sessions is created, the SSL and subsequent
traffic will always go to that same app server. Pound proxy, on the
other hand,  handles the SSL connection on the front end and
communicates with the app servers without SSL (port 80). This is an
advantage because a single app server can fall off the network and no
body would know about it.

So we put pound proxy into production. 8 hours after putting pound proxy
into production, all of our app servers were moving very very slowly.
After looking at the process trees, we found that apache was eating all
of the cores. The average usage was over 50!! On 2 of our app servers,
it was over 100! Weird!

We had to put ldirectord back into production. So finally, my question:

Has anyone else seen this? Do I need to tweak the apache settings on the
app servers when using pound proxy for some reason? Do I need to setup
pound proxy to throttle the requests somehow?

--
-Blake-
Conducting Magic