[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Public API to Lookup Items By Barcode

Michael Peters mpeters at emeralddata.net
Thu Nov 20 22:49:27 EST 2014

Matt,

First of all, I think it is AWESOME you are attempting to do this just for
your daughter.  That makes you an awesome dad, for sure!

Would you mind sharing a few more details about how you intend to use the
app?  What platform will it be used on?  Is it just a webpage she can go to
that makes some calls to your local library public API’s?  Is it a mobile
app for Android or iOS?

Do you intend for this to be a “reading list” of sorts, where she can keep
track of the barcodes (or maybe better yet, bib id’s) for materials she has
already enjoyed?  Do you intend for this to be a way to keep her responsible
with her borrowing (alert her if she has a book coming due or already
overdue)?  Or maybe some combination of both.

While I may not be able to help write the app, I do know that these were the
first questions that came to mind for me when considering how to respond to
your message.

Congrats on your drive to develop something like this, and for going above
and beyond what the average library patron would even attempt.  You are way
cool for checking out Evergreen on a deeper level, rather than just using it
as a patron.  Major high five for that!

Look forward to hearing more about what you are hoping your app to look like
and what it will do for you and your daughter (and hey, maybe even other
people around the world if you were to share it) and seeing how this
progresses!

Best of luck,

Michael Peters
Senior Systems Analyst