[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Fine Generation Code Question

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Nov 21 13:48:33 EST 2014

Hello Liam,

Thanks for the input.  One thing I do want to clarify is that fine generation even in case #1 would still be functionally independent of the checkin code.  (It has to be, since fine generation for most installations is set to happen continually, or at least daily.)  Plan #1 would simply open up the possibility of doing the checkin/fine processes in a single transaction.

The main problem with plan #2 is not the generation component of fine handling, but all of the other possible alterations and adjustments to fines which can happen depending on the checkin conditions.  I do agree that #2 is better from a design perspective, but it is quite a bit more complex than your outline suggests, and it would (in my opinion) be much safer to approach that design iteratively, which is what I hope doing #1 first would allow us to do.

Dan