[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Testing Staff Client Silent Install

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Thu Aug 6 23:08:54 EDT 2015

Hello, I'm trying to setup a silent install of the staff client for a testing version of the server.  A place where any staff can have full reign of the system to try stuff out etc.  I'm sure many sites do this.  I'm wondering if there are any best practices for having a staff client testing instance installed on the same machine that has the production instance.

Here is what I'm doing so far.

*         rigbeta option so the icons will be a different color.

*         custom  STAFF_CLIENT_VERSION so the installer has a different name.

I've been trying to figure out how to set a custom default install folder for the windows installer, but I haven't figured that out yet.  Is there a way to do it at staff client build time.. or should I be setting that with arguments to the installer file.

I'm going to try and create a silent install package with our OCS Inventory NG system, so I can just push it out to certain staff machines automatically.

I tried
LARL-EG-Test1-2.8.2_setup.exe /S /D=c:\Program Files (x86)\Evergreen Client LARL-EG-Test1
And that did do the trick

Also, is there a way to force a custom client profile directory, the default is %APPDATA%/openils/.  So that preferences are not shared and the staff don't have to change the hostname.

Or am I making this too hard, do you normally just change the hostname to your test system and use the same client install for production and test?

Thanks
Josh