[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Org tree sorting and the Android app (was Re: Beta App Feedback)

Ken Cox kenstir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:38:29 EST 2015

*Executive Summary*

The current app allows choosing an OU in a spinner (drop-down).  It sorts
this list lexicographically.  This sorting doesn't work well for NTLC,
where the top-level OU "NTLC" does not appear first.

I made a change to use the sorting based on
/osrf-gateway-v1?service=open-ils.actor&method=open-ils.actor.org_tree.retrieve
and display the orgs in a left-justified indented list.  This works well
for NTLC, but not for CW/MARS, which according to Kathy uses custom org
unit trees.

I am missing the forest for the trees and am not sure what to do next.
Details below.

*NTLC*

For NTLC, with 21 org units, the change to display the orgs as an indented
list works well. I end up with a spinner that looks like this:

North Texas Library Consortium
  Central Area
    [Boyce Ditto Public Library]
    John Ed Keeter Saginaw Public Library
    Justin Community Library

Note that I included [Boyce Ditto Public Library] above, but it doesn't
show up because it's marked opac_visible=false.

*CW/MARS*

For CW/MARS, with 250 org units this works poorly.  My spinner looks like
this (showing non-visible levels):

All C/W MARS Libraries
  [Central Region]
    [Anna Maria College]
      AMC Mondor-Eagen Library
    [Ashburnham]
      Ashburnham Stevens Memorial Library
  [Non-Members]
    [Commonwealth Catalog]
      Commonwealth Catalog Library
  [Western Region]
    [Adams]
      Adams Free Library

With all the visible=false intermediate hierarchy levels removed, this list
is basically unusable:

All C/W MARS Libraries
      AMC Mondor-Eagen Library
      Ashburnham Stevens Memorial Library
      Commonwealth Catalog Library
      Adams Free Library

As Kathy said, this is quite different from what shows up in the TPAC,
which is:

All C/W MARS Libraries
  Childrens Catalog
  Academic Libraries
  Young Adult
  Adams Free Library

*Where to go from here?*

I am considering these paths forward:

1. Display as an indented list if <= 25 OUs.  Display as a sorted flat list
(with top-level OU on top) if > 25.
2. Look for some way to get the custom org trees into the app.
3. Add something to the libraries directory
<https://evergreen-ils.org/directory/libraries.json> indicating how to
display the org tree.
4. Give up and look for paid work.

Ideas appreciated!