[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Raising the QA Bar for Code Submission

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:43:03 EST 2015

Hi Devs,

Our policy on submitting QA tests (unit, pgtap, live, etc.) with new code
has, until now, been "coder's choice".  This has resulted in a smattering
of tests, but there's a lot more we can do with the tools available to us.

In an effort to get everyone involved in QA, tuning our QA processes, and
increasing our test coverage, we agreed (in general terms) at yesterday's
IRC meeting to start requiring QA tests with all code submissions effective
immediately.

The exact test types and coverage required for 2.8 and beyond will be
solidified through group discussion.  Since we're late in the 2.8 cycle,
though, we will not be very strict and the requirements will be fairly
basic ("make an effort") for code targeting 2.8.

We'll be putting together a wiki page with examples of the types of tests
we would like to see for 2.8.  More on this as it develops.

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,

-b