[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Holds selection_depth Best sort order usage

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:00:00 EST 2015

Josh,

It's not a bug but an intended behavior.

If an installation uses hold boundaries, either hard or soft, but
particularly hard, then restricted holds will be the rule and not the
exception.  In those cases, where 0-depth holds are the rarity (and
when hard boundaries are in use, forced by staff for specific
situations) you would want those to take precedence.  Also, filling
holds from the widest pool is preferable in any case.  Thus the
ascending order-by clause.

If, instead, an installation does not use hold boundaries,
depth-restricted holds would be very uncommon.  Indeed, I can't think
of a reason why staff would forcibly depth-restrict individual holds
(though it is possible for them to do that).  While conceptually in
this case a descending sort makes sense, it would also have no
practical effect because there would be no depth-restricted holds.

Does that help clarify things?

 | President
 | Equinox Software, Inc. / The Open Source Experts
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  miker at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com