[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Beta App Feedback

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Nov 30 10:28:37 EST 2015

Hi all,

> I think that utilizing the same sorting for OUs as the TPAC does would be ideal for the app as well.  As far as I can tell that is by OU-level, then by alpha within a level.

There is actually another bit of complexity to OU sorting in TPAC. By
default, the OU's do sort as Geoff and Justin described. However,
Evergreen also has something called custom org unit trees that allow
sites to change the sort order of the library selector if the default
sort doesn't exactly fit their needs. As an example of a simple reason
sites might want to use it, if the main library in a multi-branch
library system doesn't sort first alphabetically, you can use the custom
org tree to force the main library to sort above the other branches.

In the case of C/W MARS, if the app were to use the default OU-level
sort order, it would show an additional level in the org hierarchy that
you don't see in TPAC because they are using the custom org unit tree to
control the sort order. Using the default sort, users would see
something like:

- All C/W MARS Libraries
-- Central Region
---Alphabetical list of systems
----Alphabetical list of branches
-- Western Region
---Alphabetical list of systems
----Alphabetical list of branches

Having said that, the default sort would accommodate the needs of a
majority of Evergreen sites. I just wanted to point out that there is a
bit more complexity in the tpac org unit sorting. The library selector
there also includes publicly-visible copy location groups. I'm not sure
if it's important to include those in the app or not, but those are what
are used to configure the academic, children's and ya scopes in the
catalogs for two of MassLNC's Evergreen sites.

Thanks for all of your work on this Ken!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator