[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Keyboard shortcuts in the web client

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Oct 20 14:38:45 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I was going to send this question in response to Galen's RM proposal,
but I thought a separate thread will be better.

I fully support Galen's proposal to get the web client ready for some
production use in the next release. However, there is one issue that I
know will be a barrier for adoption in our libraries and is something
that I'm not sure has an easy solution.

Keyboard shortcuts are critical for the workflow of our circ desk staff.
At many circ desks, there isn't ample space to use a mouse, and
switching between the keyboard and mouse can be cumbersome.

I know there are keyboard shortcuts available in the web client, but,
last I heard, there was a problem where they don't work if the cursor is
already focused on an input element in the client. Since we configure
many of our interfaces to immediately focus the cursor in an input
element, this issue is going to be problematic for front-line staff.

This issue was discussed at a developers meeting a while ago, but nobody
came up with any ideas at that time. Has anyone come up with a solution
since then? If not, do you have a sense of whether this is a solvable
problem?

Thanks!
Kathy

--