[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Parts label cleanup

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Tue Feb 2 23:20:51 EST 2016

Hello, I've just noticed that our parts labels are somewhat messed up because different locations have been using different formats for entering month abbreviations.  So for one record we have "AUG", "AUG ", "Aug","August","aug."  all being used.  This makes the process of placing a request for a specific part much more exciting for users since instead of 12 options they have <num variants>x12 to choose from in the dropdown.

Has anyone gone through a cleanup of their part labels before?  Would you have any scripts that I can take a look at?

I've been trying to figure out if this can be done purely in sql or if a script is needed.  I'm guessing that a script will be needed since in some cases the correct label entry will exist, so the asset.copy_part_map will need to be modified to point to the correct label, and in other cases the biblio.monographic_part entry can just be updated.  Along with specifying the mapping patterns.

Although maybe just handling the two cases separately would work fine.  Something like.
"-update labels where there is no correct entry.
UPDATE
biblio.monograph_part AS bmp SET
label='JAN'
FROM
(
SELECT DISTINCT ON (bmp.record)
bmp.id, bmp.record
FROM
biblio.monograph_part AS bmp
WHERE
bmp.label IN ('jan.','JAN ','jan','JANUARY','Jan')
AND NOT EXISTS (
SELECT id
FROM biblio.monograph_part
WHERE label='JAN' AND record=bmp.record)
ORDER BY bmp.record
) AS sub
WHERE
bmp.id=sub.id
;

Then figure out how to do the same for the case where the correct label already exists.  Update asset.copy_part_map to point to the correct entry.  Then look for holds that were referencing the non-standard part labels and update them.  And finally delete all the biblio.monograph_part entries that are not referenced in asset.copy_part_map for cleanup.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Josh