[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Backporting browser client bugfixes for rel_2_10

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Mar 16 15:05:38 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'd like to suggest a change of policy for backporting certain
specific browser client bugs to the rel_2_10 branch after release of
2.10.0: specifically, that the rel_2_10 branch will accept web staff
client bugfixes — particularly in the areas of circulation and patron
management — as well as relevant core AngularJS services.

This would mean that:

* committers would be free (but not obligated) to backport such
bugfixes (note that all testing and QA guidelines would be in effect
for such bugfixes)
* Evergreen developers in general would be encouraged to write such fixes
* users would be encouraged to report such bugs

This would not be tantamount to full community support for using
webstaff for circulation in production — I don't think we're at the
point where we can do so, unfortunately — but would mean that folks
who are using it in a beta test capacity would have at least some hope
that bugs opened in LP would be looked at.

One thing I should mention is that at some point relatively soon
backporting webstaff fixes may become more time-consuming [1]; my
suggestion should not be taken to me that anybody should feel any
obligation to rewrite bugfixes to work under AngularJS 1.2.

Thoughts?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1554714

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt