[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Buildmasters for next release cycle (and 2.11)

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Nov 2 20:30:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

During the hack-a-way today there was a discussion about the
experiment of having buildmasters be responsible for creating the
general release tarballs.  Some bullet points from the discussion
include:

* Agreement that it would be useful to carry on the buildmaster role

* Dan Wells noted that it's useful to have less experienced
buildmasters do the building, with the more experienced ones advising
and helping with testing

* There was a discussion of how to improve communication around the
build and release process: in particular, we need to improve make sure
that the availability of a build is announced

* There was a discussion about whether buildmasters would follow the
pattern of acting as build maintainers (as RMs typically become
release maintainers). Ultimately, it was decided to try a model where
there is a pool of buildmasters available to make builds for all
release branches, although at any given point in time, specific
buildmasters would have primary responsibility for a given release
branch.

* Dan Wells and Blake Henderson are willing to continue as buildmasters

*Galen Charlton is throwing his hat in the ring as a buildmaster

Action items
----------------
* We'll collectively work on clarifying the release process,
checklists, and release team process. Kathy will lead this discussion.
* Galen will send out a call for buildmasters

So, this email is me carrying out my action item: I would like to call
for one or more volunteers to join Dan, Blake, and me as a buildmaster
for the Evergreen.next and 2.11.  The general responsibilities
include:

* working with the release manager, 2.11 release maintainer, and the
other buildmasters to schedule and perform making, testing, and
uploading release tarballs
* learning how to make the releases — and I should emphasize that
we're looking for people willing to learn, not just people who already
know how to cut releases

If you're interested, please get in touch with me by November 18th.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt