[OPEN-ILS-DEV] STaff client name field search strips leading digits

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Wed Jan 25 08:56:18 EST 2017

Hello,  I was just asked why staff couldn't find a patron record by name using the XUL staff client patron search.  Jason E. helped me find the culprit.  The XUL patron search strips leading and trailing whitespace and numbers from first given name, second given name and last name before sending in the search.

We allow business/institution accounts and the business in question starts with a number "123 Insurance Inc."  We normally set both the first and last name to the full business name in these cases.

Before the following change in May 2009 the form was set to strip out non word characters, so characters, numbers and underscores were allowed.  The change was made because Unicode characters are matched as non word characters with the \W class.  So it wasn't possible to search for names starting in Unicode characters.  But with the change numbers were no longer allowed.  Punctuation characters were also stripped out before the change, but not after.

[evergreen|dbs] Use Unicode-friendly regular expressions for registering and retrieving patrons by name -
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=commit;h=f7db7f5

I'm wondering if anyone would support changing this to just stripping out leading/trailing whitespace, taking out the \d so numbers are allowed again.
Thanks

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110