[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Postgres requirements for 2.12 and 3.0

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Mar 1 16:57:27 EST 2017

Hi all,

At today's developers meeting, we discussed minimum Postgres
requirements for the 2.12 and 3.0 Evergreen releases. Those attending
the meeting would like to make the following recommendations for
Postgres support.

For the 2.12 release, deprecate Postgres 9.3 support and recommend use
of Postgres 9.4.
For the 3.0 release, make Postgres 9.4 a minimum requirement.

A primary reason for this recommendation is related to an upcoming
development project that will require Postgres 9.4 features. This
project is expected to be ready for the 3.0 release.

Equinox is currently working on a development project to improve
Evergreen search (more information on this project in an earlier e-mail
at http://markmail.org/message/4styymc3asioa5yl).   The goal of this
work is to eliminate two-stage search from Evergreen, leading to a more
complete set of search results. Early analysis has also shown that,
after this work is done, searches should be as fast or faster than the
existing code base, with the biggest performance gains
seen with more selective searches. This project requires the use of
database functions only available in Postgres 9.4+

Also note the following end of life dates that are coming up with
Postgres and Evergreen releases.

Postgres 9.3 end of life date: September 2018
Postgres 9.4 end of life date: December 2019
Evergreen 2.12 end of life date: March 2018
Evergreen 3.0 end of life date: September 2018

Postgres 9.4 has been in release since December 2014 and is already used
successfully in production at many Evergreen sites. The new requirements
would not impact any Evergreen releases prior to the 2.12 release.

We had a light attendance at the dev meeting when we discussed these
requirements. We therefore wanted to throw this recommendation out to
the list before firming it up. If you have any questions or concerns
about the recommendation, please send a response to the list by the end
of the day Friday.

Thank you!
Kathy

--