[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 3.2.2 OSRF search returns way more data than I need

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Wed Apr 10 19:59:23 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 6:02 PM Ken Cox <kenstir at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 3.2.2 server returns a lot of additional data in the search response,
> like "highlight_map".  The mobile apps don't need this data, and it bloats
> the response substantially.  Is there a customer for this additional data,
> or should I file a ticket to squelch it?  Can I avoid receiving it?

The consumer for the data about the query structure, including the new
highlight map, is the Evergreen OPAC itself, which as the name of the key
implies, uses it as part of highlighting the search term in results and
details displays; it wasn't added capriciously.

That said, a search API that returns just the list of bib IDs with minimal
additional metadata is a reasonable request.

It would be straightforward to add a key to the argument hash in the first
parameter of open-ils.search.biblio.multiclass.query and friends to request
that the query_struct structure not be included in the response. Such an
approach should be backwards compatible, as older versions of Evergreen
would just ignore a (say) suppress_query_struct:0 in the argument hash.

I would be curious to hear other's feedback, including whether we might be
better off in the long run providing a wrapper around
open-ils.search.*.multiclass.query that just returns IDs and is explicitly
designed for external clients who don't necessarily want to use the
existing SuperCat APIs (as none of them to my knowledge just return bib
IDs).

Regards,

Galen
--