[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal to serve as release manager for 3.4

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Wed Apr 17 14:00:02 EDT 2019

Hi,

I am throwing my hat in the ring to serve as release manager for Evergreen
3.4, the autumn 2019 release.  I have previously served as RM for 2.10 and
3.0.

I expect that one focus for 3.4 will be continuing the work of converting
web staff client interfaces to Angular. I will support and encourage that
work, and I have a particular interest in making the process of updating
Angular and NPM dependencies be more frequent and systematic.

Another topic I would like to explore during the 3.4 cycle is taking steps
to make the Evergreen API easier to use for developers outside of the
project.

Another goal I would like to pursue is removing more of the vestiges of the
XUL client.

As I did during the 3.0 release cycle, I propose to post biweekly
development updates to the Evergreen blog and the development mailing list.
I also intend to call at least one feedback fest.  As a reminder, a
"feedback fest" is a week during which every pending pull request gets
reviewed to either merge it or provide substantive feedback if it's not
ready to be merged yet.  Feedback fest would be a complement to the bug
squashing weeks.

As far as the release schedule is concerned, I anticipate no particular
deviations from the normal autumn release schedule. If elected, I will
propose a detailed release schedule during the Evergreen Conference.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton