[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Solidifying / Simplifying Angular date/time display

Jeff Davis jeff.davis at bc.libraries.coop
Mon Aug 26 13:25:32 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-23 7:52 a.m., Bill Erickson wrote:
>     I don't think it's safe to assume that browsers are set to the correct
>     or desired locale.  In English-speaking Canada, I am guessing that some
>     users will have their locale set to en-US rather than en-CA.  This
>     would
>     result in dates being displayed using MM/DD/YYYY, which is an ambiguous
>     format in Canada (DD/MM/YYYY is also used here, so 01/02/2019 could be
>     either Jan 2 or Feb 1).
>
>     At Sitka we avoid the ambiguity by using Evergreen's date format
>     settings to enforce the use of YYYY-MM-DD.  We would want to be able to
>     do that without requiring users to modify their browser or OS locale
>     settings, since not all users will have control of those settings.
>

> That's unfortunate.  That doesn't negatively impact user experience in
> other ways?

Overly locked-down workstations can be an annoyance, but the web client
has only really required the ability to allow pop-ups (and optionally
install Hatch) and to clear cache/local data if things stop working.  As
a rule we should try to avoid special requirements for browser
configuration.

I am of two minds.  A de facto switch to US-style dates would be
experienced by our libraries as a regression, and changing the browser
locale would likely be a headache for some.  But it's also not the end
of the world.  I don't want to simply kill the proposal if the community
sees substantial benefits to it.

It would be good to hear from others, especially non-American/non-en-US
Evergreen users.

Jeff