[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature Proposal - OpenAthens integration

Julian Clementson Julian.Clementson at openathens.net
Mon Sep 2 06:06:15 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce a new feature proposal and ask for your feedback.

Launchpad link - https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1842297

The feature will provide integration between Evergreen and OpenAthens, a global cloud-based single sign-on service.

The background is that the GALILEO Consortium of libraries in Georgia has selected OpenAthens to deliver a state-wide solution for single sign-on, and this contract includes integrating Evergreen into OpenAthens, so that PINES patrons can seamlessly access OpenAthens-authenticated resources.

The OpenAthens development team has been contracted to implement the integration on behalf of GPLS, and I've been assigned as the lead developer for the project. I demonstrated a proof of concept to selected representatives of the Evergreen community and the PINES consortium back in July. The aim is to get this feature accepted into an upcoming release so that it is ready for PINES to start using towards the end of the year.

I have now documented the feature in detail on DocuWiki - see https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev%3Aproposal%3Aopenathens_integration

I have also published the proposed code changes and documentation, subject to community review of course - see https://github.com/openathens/Evergreen/commit/ed85f8f82795e4439315e897438d75e99e0e7cde

I welcome feedback and discussion, so as to improve the feature description and get the code into a state where the community is happy to accept it.

Thank you and kind regards,
Julian
─────
Julian Clementson
Full stack software engineer
+44 (0)20 3998 9178
openathens.org<https://openathens.org/>
[Open Athens]
OpenAthens is a Jisc enterprise. Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB 197 0632 86. Jisc's registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.