[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ACQ and Reporting documentation

George Duimovich gparser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:11:02 EDT 2008

Regarding your questions:

1) Local needs that can't be met by community or vendor resources lead to
"local documentation." Then local documentation can be too customized for
local needs so that it makes it difficult to re-contribute it to the
community (I spoke with one OSS user recently who thought they had great
documentation to contribute to a project, but thought it was "too
customized" and therefore was reluctant to contribute because of the work,
etc. to de-customize it).

Further, when you need it, we'll take any documentation we can find in any
format, and local contributions can be invaluable. But some effort needs to
be made to standardize and give a common look & feel to user certain
contributions so that support resources don't get too confusing.

3) Wiki format -- I like the medium, and it's a great vehicle for end-user
contributions - it's all good. But I'm unsure of is how well our needs could
be met from user contibutions vs. any "official" professional tech writer
created documentation. The Postgresql project has a good reputation for
documentation and they've got two good sites that demonstrate different
production vehicles:
Created using DocBook: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
Using Wiki: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page

Their wiki provides a good example and includes some alternate languages
(another eventual consideration for documentation site).

4) The challenge right now is the intense "ramp up" phase that this market
sector is going through. I'm sure this is already in the plan, but ESI and
other future EG vendors, need to ensure that their support and maintenance
fees incorporate documentation costs, so that the community could eventually
rely upon additional formalized, technical writing resources to compliment
community volunteer efforts. The needs will only get greater as migrations
continue, but so too will the capacity to respond as libraries eventually
wind down their existing contracts and make new ones with ESI and other lead
vendors, etc. The GPLS development is very positive.

I would just add that we need to focus some efforts on manageable areas in
the context of different documentation types ("User Guides"  versus
"Developer Documentation"). I'm not involved enough yet to know where, but
on the surface it would seem to me that there's got to be some "quick wins"
in the face of the huge challenge of documenting a fast moving, dynamic
development project.