[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] SPAM: Re: wikis and documentation formats [Was: ACQ and Reporting documentation]

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Tue Aug 12 06:35:37 EDT 2008

> PostgreSQL, you can select snapshots of the documentation
> corresponding to major x.y versions
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/). This is hard to pull off
> with a wiki.

Good point!
> 3. There may not be many people printing out the 1,913 page manual,
> but I can guarantee that there are a lot of people who have downloaded
> the PDF and carry it around with them in one convenient, searchable,
> well-organized format.
>
> 4. Wikis are pretty darned awkward to translate. Dokuwiki offers some
> support for translation, but it's quite limited.

Ah yes, I was displaying my English-language bias.
> 5. Despite the ease of modification, wikis are pretty hard to edit.
> Trying to make terminology, style, and structure consistent across a
> set of wiki pages isn't a whole lot of fun. It's not fun in something
> like DocBook either, but at least you can easily make global changes,
> and the PDF format lets you edit across a ton of pages rather than
> clicking through pages.

Well, I am completely with you on the editorial limitations of wikis. I
have problems both with composing and editing in wikis (learning a
bespoke formatting language, being frustrated by simple formatting
limitations, and my greatest peeve, doing all of my editing in a
composition window the size of two credit cards laid side by side--it's
like the word processors we were using in the 1970s) and with the UX
issues -- just to start with, the the default page has no left-right
constraints; I get a neck crick just reading my own writing. Plus the
design sense of the typical wiki format, unless CSS-ified by skilled
hands, feels, I don't know... pre-Glasnost Russia.

In wiki editing, I spend too much time thinking about the mechanics of
writing versus actually writing, and I imagine any highly-formatted
composition is arduous to create and maintain (and as you point out,
internationalize--which is not just a cross-border issue; to look at
just one language, 7% of Georgia's population is Hispanic, and Georgia,
with its agriculture, is now one of the top six states to attract
migrant workers from Mexico, whose first language is of course Spanish.
I pass many Spanish-language-only businesses as I drive around Georgia;
if you're ever in Omega, I recommend lunch at Taqueria Jesus y Maria).
> I'm not opposed to using the wiki as the de facto
> documentation-editing platform, or as a short term publishing
> platform. At this point, anything that lets us increase our volume and
> quality of documentation, even in just one language, is goodness.
>
> Long-term, however, there are a lot of advantages to using something
> else as the official documentation-publishing platform (with my bias
> obviously being towards DocBook).

A professional tech-documentation platform sounds like an excellent
North Star, and I am glad you raised that point. Down here on the bottom
of Maslow's hierarchy, it's a big step up to move from hardwired web
pages last updated in Evergreen's alpha era to the relative access and
flexibility of wikis (and it's a big step up to have the luxury of time
to attend to these pages at all--even stuff as basic as FAQs). But you
argue persuasively that's at best a pit stop, not where we want the bulk
of our formal documentation to stay.

You had written, "We don't have dedicated writers creating stable
documentation in concert with development, and we're mostly playing
catch-up with the developers." This is absolutely correct (and was the
point of a blog post I wrote y'day that I just went live with:
http://esilibrary.com/blog/?p=73 ). We should be thinking in terms of
how we move documentation to the next level--and keep it there--which
means in part building documentation into the development process and
sustainability model.

(It now strikes me that some of the people approaching Evergreen's
community about documentation work may have expectations about tools...
and we may need to have answers... and the answers should be
consistent... and forward-looking... ok, thanks a lot, Dan, one more
thing to worry about ;> )